Maintaining proper hygiene is crucial for your intimate health. Dr. Rohini Boddu covers how to properly wash your vulva and vagina.
Here are some simple tips:
- Use lukewarm water: Start by rinsing your genital area with lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water, as it may strip away natural oils and cause dryness.
- Choose gentle cleansers: Opt for mild, pH-balanced cleansers specifically formulated for intimate use. Harsh soaps or fragrant products can disrupt the delicate vaginal flora and lead to irritation.
- External washing: Gently wash the external part of your vulva with a small amount of cleanser. Ensure you cover the folds and crevices, but avoid inserting anything into the vagina.
- Rinse thoroughly: After applying the cleanser, rinse your genital area thoroughly to remove any residue. Leaving traces of soap can lead to irritation or itchiness.
- Proper drying: Pat yourself dry using a clean, soft towel. Avoid rubbing vigorously, as it may cause irritation. Make sure to dry between the folds of the vulva carefully.
- Breathable underwear: Wear cotton underwear to allow for proper air circulation. Avoid tight-fitting clothes or synthetic materials that can trap moisture, increasing the risk of infections.
- Avoid douching: It’s essential to note that douching is unnecessary and can disrupt the natural balance of the vagina. Your body is designed to clean itself, and douching may lead to infections or other complications.
- Daily hygiene routines: While it’s important to practice good hygiene, excessive washing with harsh products can actually harm your vaginal health. Stick to gentle cleansing once or twice a day, unless advised otherwise by a healthcare professional.
At Advantia Health, we are dedicated to empowering women and prioritizing their overall health and well-being. From pregnancy to menopause, gynecological issues and more, our team of experienced providers is dedicated to addressing your frequently asked questions about women’s health. We believe in creating a friendly and welcoming environment where you feel comfortable discussing your concerns openly.
With our personalized care and a comprehensive range of services, we aim to ensure that you receive the highest quality healthcare experience. Our mission is to provide you with the knowledge and support you need to make informed decisions about your reproductive and physical health.